The Netherlands is a small country sandwiched between Belgium and Germany in the west of Europe with many interesting facts. Known as a healthy country, the Netherlands made great inventions like microscopes, telescopes and pendant watches, and mercury thermometers. This article will give an overview of the Netherlands facts.
The country is a perfect blend of tradition and innovation with its far-reaching architecture and iconic landscapes. You can meet people in long jeans on the streets of the Netherlands.
The Netherlands facts
The country is an ideal place to discover wooden shoes, art masterpieces, innovative water management, and a few million bicycles, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
The country contains a number of amazing and interesting facts to uncover. Here are some interesting facts about the small country Netherlands.
1. Healthy countries
Oxfam reports that the Netherlands is at the top of the world for the largest, most nutritious, healthy, and affordable food in 125 countries. The country is therefore known as a “healthy country”, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
2. Meet people with long DNA
The average height of men in the Netherlands is 184 cm and for women, it is 170 cm. The Dutch people are the tallest in the world, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
Scientists say it is because of their DNA, nutrition, and well-being. Although some have said that this is due to the huge consumption of their dairy products.
3. The largest producer of beer!
According to the brewers in Europe, the Netherlands exports the largest proportion of beer production of any country in the world, ie 50%, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
4. Don’t confuse it with Holland
The Netherlands and Holland are not one. Holland The west coast of Holland. People often confuse the Netherlands with Holland, Consisting of Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Harlem, Leyden and The Hague, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
5. Favorite LGBT rights!
The Netherlands was the first country to legalize same-sex marriage. It did this in 2001, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
6. Top discoveries!
It is said that this country was discovered by microscope, telescope, pendulum clock, and mercury thermometers in the 16th or 17th centuries, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
7. Wooden shoes!
One of the interesting facts about the country is that the Dutch have been wearing wooden shoes (clongs) or “clompen” since ancient times.
These clogs later became symbols of Dutch culture. Today, everyone wears ordinary shoes, but Dutch clogs are still a must-see tourist reminder for all visitors, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
8. Wilhelmus: The oldest national anthem
It is the oldest music in the world. Both the words and the music speak of his German blood in the sixteenth-century old national anthem and show his loyalty to the Spanish crown, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
9. Don’t forget the carry bags!
Locals in the Netherlands take their bags to the supermarket before buying their groceries. If you move to the Netherlands, make sure you get there and be sure to take your carry bag with you, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
10. What a car! Just the cycle
In the early nineties, the city’s 4,000 citizens decided to encourage everyone in the city to ride a bicycle more than they used to. Dutch Houten is also known as the safest place in the world, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
11. Smoking a joint but beware of tobacco!
Surprisingly, weed smoking is still allowed in coffee shops but tobacco smoking is strictly prohibited. You can smoke a joint, but if they catch you with tobacco, watch out!
12. Spirits to Sportspersons
The Netherlands actively participates in various sports such as football, hockey, tennis, cycling, golf, volleyball, korfball, handball, swimming, and ice-skating. Basically, the country is recognized for its Dutch football and speed skating around the world, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
13. Very low to sea level
It is so low that only 50% of its land is more than 1 meter above sea level. Incredible! Amsterdam, the capital of the Netherlands, is also 2 meters below sea level, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
Located northeast of Rotterdam, the Judeplaspoulder reaches a depth of 7.0 meters (23.0 feet) below average sea level. It made it to Lamefjord in Denmark, the lowest point in the European Union and Western Europe.
14. Pets have the privilege!
There are strict laws against animal abuse in the country. A recent official confirmation has announced that there are no abandoned dogs or cats in the country, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
15. Have you ever seen rats in the police force?
In the Rotterdam region of the country, the police force has been using rats for 25 years, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
They use them as a great smell, drug finder, gun, or explosive. Surprisingly, the rats were found to be much quicker to find results than staff in the lab.
16. Maximum English proficiency
Dutch is fluent in English. A 2016 survey conducted in the Netherlands gave the Netherlands a score of 12.66, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
Denmark and Sweden are second and third, respectively. About nine in ten Dutch people speak English as a second language.
17. No diesel and no petrol
The Dutch government plans to ban the sale of petrol and diesel-powered cars in 2021 to promote green energy, which is one of the interesting Netherlands facts.
The proposal was passed in the lower house of the Dutch parliament, but it still needs to be approved by the Senate. The government’s goal is to drive only Dutch cars in the future.
More Interesting Articles
- List of Caribbean Countries Flags and Their Capitals
- List of Scandinavian Countries – Capitals | Flags | Nordic
- Flags of Latin American Countries – Capitals | Population | Economy
- List, Capitals, and Flags of South American Countries
- Flags of North American Countries in Alphabetical Order
- Oceania Countries and Flags in Alphabetical Order
- Nordic Countries List – Capital | Flags | Population | Area
- List of Caribbean Countries in Alphabetical Order
- All-State Flags of the United States of America – Pictures | Images
- Alphabetical Order Flags of African Countries and Their Names
- All South Asian Countries Flags with Names
- Southeast Asian Countries and Their Flags
- Individual National Flags of Asian Countries with Names
- National Flags of European Countries with Names
- Names of Countries Flags – Flags of the World with Names
- Country Code List – Alpha-2 | Alpha-3 | Numeric | Phone
- US National Holidays – List of Holidays in America
- United States Embassies and Consulates – List with Link
- Time Zones List by Country – World Time | UTC | GMT | standard
- 2 Letter Country Codes – ISO 2-Digit Alpha Abbreviation