Scandinavian countries flags: Scandinavia is a subregion in Northern Europe, with robust historic, cultural, and linguistic ties. The time period of Scandinavia in native utilization covers the three kingdoms of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. The majority of national languages of those three belong to the Scandinavian dialect continuum and are mutually intelligible North Germanic languages.
In English utilization, Scandinavia additionally generally refers more narrowly to the Scandinavian Peninsula, or more broadly in order to incorporate the Åland Islands, the Faroe Islands, Finland, and Iceland.
The broader definition is much like what is domestically referred to as the Nordic countries, which additionally embody the distant Norwegian islands of Svalbard and Jan Mayen and Greenland, a constituent nation inside the Kingdom of Denmark in the list of Scandinavian countries.
The majority of the inhabitants of Scandinavia (together with Iceland and the Faroe Islands) right this moment derive their language from a number of North Germanic tribes who as soon as inhabited the southern part of Scandinavia and spoke a Germanic language that advanced into Old Norse and from Old Norse into Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Faroese, and Icelandic.
The Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish languages kind a dialect continuum and are often called the Scandinavian languages—all of that is thought of as mutually intelligible with each other. Faroese and Icelandic, generally known as insular Scandinavian languages, are intelligible in continental Scandinavian languages solely to a restricted extent.
The time period Scandinavia (generally laid out in English as Continental Scandinavia or mainland Scandinavia) is usually used strictly for Denmark, Norway, and Sweden as a subset of the Nordic countries (identified in Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish as Norden; Finnish: Pohjoismaat, Icelandic: Norðurlöndin, Faroese: Norðurlond).
However, in English utilization, the time period Scandinavia is typically used as a synonym or near-synonym for Nordic countries, in the list of Scandinavian countries
List of Mainland Scandinavian countries
- Denmark (constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system)
- Norway (constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system)
- Sweden (constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system)
Nordic territories Sometimes also belong to Scandinavian countries:
- Åland Islands
- Faroe Islands
Nordic territories that are not part of Scandinavia:
- Bouvet Island
- Jan Mayen
The Nordic countries additionally encompass:
- Finland (parliamentary republic)
- Iceland (parliamentary republic)
- Åland Islands (an autonomous province of Finland since 1920)
- Faroe Islands (an autonomous territory inside the Kingdom of Denmark (The unity of the Realm), self-governed since 1948)
- Greenland (an autonomous territory inside the Kingdom of Denmark (The unity of the Realm), self-governed since 1979)
- Jan Mayen, which is beneath Norwegian sovereignty, will not be thought of as a part of Scandinavia as a cultural-historical area, however as part of the Kingdom of Norway.
- Svalbard, which is beneath Norwegian sovereignty, will not be thought of as a part of Scandinavia as a cultural-historical area, however as part of the Kingdom of Norway (since 1925). It is a part of the Nordic countries (Norden).
Here is the list of Scandinavian countries with capitals:
List of Scandinavian countries with capitals
Next, we are going to discuss Scandinavian countries flags:
Scandinavian Countries Flags
We wish this information on Scandinavian countries flags was worth reading.
Other recommended Reading
- Continents by Population – Global Population Factsheet
- 60 US States Interesting Fun Facts and Information
- 70 Interesting Latin American Facts Everyone Should Know
- 69 Awesome Interesting Fun Facts about Greek empire
- 85 Awesome Hagia Sophia Turkey Interesting Fun Facts
- 116 Interesting Fun Facts About Orlando Florida USA
- 60 Kuala Lumpur City Malaysia Interesting Fun Facts
- 83 Turkish Ottoman Empire Interesting Fun Facts
- 50 Beautiful Bali, Indonesia – Interesting Fun Facts
- 124 Interesting Fun Facts About Toronto Canada
- 66 Interesting Facts – Amer Fort – Amber Fort – Rajasthan India
More Interesting Articles
- 100 Interesting Facts about Sudan – Struggle and Hope
- 100 Interesting Facts About The Philippines
- 50 Fun Facts about Cameroon for Inquisitive Learners
- 125 Fun Facts about Malaysia for Curious Minds
- 150 Interesting Facts about Ireland for Travelers
- 200 Interesting Facts about Spain for Everyone
- 200 Interesting Facts about Austria – Past, and Present
- 200 Interesting Facts about Denmark
- 100 Interesting Facts about Ethiopia, Africa
- 200 Interesting Facts about New Zealand
- 100 Interesting Facts about Mongolia – Glory and Conquer
- 100 Interesting Facts about Taiwan – Past, and Present
- 100 Interesting Facts about Russia – Past to Present
- Country Currency List – International Currencies | Currency Codes
- List of Countries and Their Flags – All Flags of the World
- World International Days List United Nations UN 2021
- International Calling Codes – Country Phone Codes List
- 150 Interesting Facts about Sydney Australia
- 100 Fun Facts about Greece from Past to Present
- 100 Interesting Facts to Know About Hawaii Island