Gyeongbokgung Palace is one of the masterpieces in South Korea with a long history. A man is dressed in a royal robe made of crowned silk on his head, bowing down in front of the audience in a manner of honor and praise. His elegance, his elegance, his body language, and his face mimic the brightness of the sun. He reaches the throne all the way, gives a slight hint of sitting there, and tells the audience to sit down. You must have seen it somewhere in K-drama, a famous historical theme.
Gyeongbokgung Palace facts
Several courts, Yunus, palace ladies, various luxuries, and palaces. Wondering about the palaces, we are about to fly to the Kingdom of the Kings of Joseon; Gyeongbokgong Palace:
1. What is Gyeongbokgung palace recognized for?
Gyeongbokgung Palace is arguably probably the most stunning and stays the biggest of all 5 palaces. The premises have been as soon as destroyed by hearth through the Imjin War (1592-1598). However, all the palace buildings have been later restored below the leadership of Heungseondaewongun through the reign of King Gojong (1852-1919).
2. Who constructed the Gyeongbokgung Palace?
Gyeongbokgung Palace was initially constructed in 1394 by King Taejo, the first king and the founding father of the Joseon dynasty, and its name was conceived by an influential authorities minister named Jeong Do-jeon. Afterward, the palace was repeatedly expanded through the reign of King Taejong and King Sejong the Great.
3. What does Gyeongbokgung imply?
One of the primary vacationer sights in Seoul is Gyeongbokgung, the previous royal palace of the Kingdom of Joseon. The name means “Palace Greatly Blessed by Heaven,” because it was inbuilt an auspicious location between two mountains.
4. King Taejay, creator
The Jiang Dynasty, known as Jiangbokgong or sometimes Giangbok, was built in 139৪, three years after it was founded by King Taijo. Gyeongbokgung Palace was extended during the Great Times of King Taejo and King Sejong.
5. Divine Palace: Jiangbokgong
The Gyeongbokgung Palace was known as Jiangbokgong, meaning “Palace dedicated by the paradise of the great heavens” behind Mount Bogaksan and with Namsan Mountain at its forefront.
6. The connection of the palace with Seoul
When the main palace, Jiangbokgung, was completed, the capital of Joseon was relocated from Gesong to Seoul (then returned to Hanyang); Seoul is still the capital.
7. The tragedy of burning
The Gyeongbokgung Palace was once burnt down in 1553, rebuilt in 1592-1598, and again became ash during the Japanese invasion.
8. What is the Gyeongbokgung palace manufactured from?
A concrete construction changed the unique picket one. A genuine pinewood construction changed the concrete one by August 2010. The space in front of Gwanghwamun, Gwanghwamun plaza, is the place you may simply spot people casually roaming around.
Geunjeongjeon, also called Geunjeongjeon Hall, is the throne corridor the place the king formally granted audiences to his officers, gave declarations of national significance, and greeted international envoys and ambassadors through the Joseon dynasty.
The constructing was designated as Korea’s National Treasure No. 223 on January 8, 1985. Geunjeongmun, aligned and situated on to the south of Geunjeongjeon, is the primary gate to the courtyard and to Geunjeongjeon. The gate is split into three separate aisles, and solely the king was allowed to stroll by means of the middle.
Sajeongjeon, additionally referred to as Sajeongjeon Hall, is a construction used as the primary govt office by the king through the Joseon Dynasty. Located behind Geunjeongjeon Hall, the king carried out his govt duties and held conferences with the top authorities officers in Sajeongjeon.
Two separate aspect buildings, Cheonchujeon and Manchunjeon, flank the west and east of Sajeongjeon, and whereas Sajeongjeon isn’t geared up with a heating system, these buildings are geared up with Ondols for his or her use within the colder months.
11. Gangnyeongjeon (King’s Quarters)
Gangnyeongjeon, additionally referred to as Gangnyeongjeon Hall, is a construction used because of the king’s fundamental residing quarters. First constructed in 1395, the fourth year of King Taejo, the construction comprises the king’s bed-chamber.
Destroyed through the Japanese invasions of Korea in 1592, the building was rebuilt when Gyeongbokgung was reconstructed in 1867, nevertheless, it was once more burned down by a serious hearth in November 1876 and needed to be restored in 1888 following the orders of King Gojong.
Hyangwonjeong, or Hyangwonjeong Pavilion, is a small, two-story hexagonal pavilion constructed around 1873 by the order of King Gojong when Geoncheonggung residence was constructed to the north inside Gyeongbokgung.
The pavilion was constructed on an artificial island of a lake named Hyangwonji, and a bridge named Chwihyanggyo connects it to the palace grounds. The name Hyangwonjeong is loosely translated as “Pavilion of Far-Reaching Fragrance”, whereas Chwihyanggyo is “Bridge Intoxicated with Fragrance”.
The bridge Chwihyanggyo was initially situated on the north aspect of the island and was the longest bridge constructed purely of wooden through the Joseon dynasty; nonetheless, it was destroyed through the Korean War.
The bridge was reconstructed in its present type on the south aspect of the island in 1953, however is now being relocated to its authentic location on the north aspect. The reconstruction is anticipated to be accomplished in 2019.
13. Gyeonghoeru (Royal Banquet Hall)
Gyeonghoeru, also called Gyeonghoeru Pavilion, is a corridor used to carry necessary and particular state banquets through the Joseon Dynasty. It is registered as Korea’s National Treasure No. 224 on January 8, 1985.
The first Gyeonghoeru was constructed in 1412, the 12th year of the reign of King Taejong, however was burned down through the Japanese invasions of Korea in 1592. The present construction was constructed in 1867 (the 4th year of the reign of King Gojong) on an island of an artificial, rectangular lake that’s 128 m huge and 113 m throughout.
14. Gyotaejeon (Queen’s Quarters)
Gyotaejeon, additionally referred to as Gyotaejeon Hall, is a construction used as the primary residing quarters by the queen through the Joseon Dynasty. The constructing is situated behind Gangnyeongjeon, the king’s quarters, and comprises the queen’s bed-chamber. It was first constructed in around 1440, the 22nd year of King Sejong the Great.
King Sejong, who was famous to have frail health later in his reign, determined to hold out his govt duties in Gangnyeongjeon, the place his bed-chamber is situated, as a substitute of Sajeongjeon.
Since this decision meant many authorities officers routinely wanted to go to and intrude Gangnyeongjeon, King Sejong had Gyotaejeon inbuilt consideration of his spouse the queen’s privacy.
15. Jagyeongjeon (Quarters of the King’s mom)
Jagyeongjeon, additionally referred to as Jagyeongjeon Hall, is a building used as the primary residing quarters by Queen Sinjeong, the mom of King Heonjong. First constructed in 1865, it was burned down twice by a hearth however was reconstructed in 1888.
Jagyeongjeon is the one royal residing quarters in Gyeongbokgung that survived the demolition campaigns of the Japanese authorities through the Japanese occupation of Korea.
The chimneys of Jagyeongjeon are adorned with ten indicators of longevity to want for a long life for the late queen, whereas the west partitions of the Jagyeongjeon compound are adorned with floral designs.
The protruding southeast part of Jagyeongjeon, named Cheongyeollu, is designed to supply a cooler area through the summer season, whereas the northwest part of Jagyeongjeon, named Bokandang, is designed for the winter months. The eastern part of Jagyeogjeon, named Hyeopgyeongdang and distinguished by the constructing’s decrease height, was utilized by the late queen’s assistants.
16. Jibokjae (Private Royal Library)
Jibokjae, situated next to Geoncheonggung Residence, is a two-story non-public library utilized by King Gojong. In 1876, a serious hearth occurred in Gyeongbokgung Palace, and King Gojong, for a short interval, moved and resided in Changdeokgung Palace.
He finally moved back to Gyeongbokgung in 1888, however, he had the pre-existing Jibokjae construction disassembled and moved from Changdeokgung to the present location in 1891. Its name, Jibokjae, interprets loosely in English because of the “Hall of Collecting Jade”.
The constructing uniquely reveals the heavy effect of Chinese structure as a substitute for conventional Korean palace structure. Its aspect partitions have been totally constructed in brick, a way generally employed by the up-to-date Chinese, and its roof formations, inside screens, and columns additionally present Chinese influences. Its structure probably was meant to offer it a unique look.
Jibokjae is flanked by Parujeong, an octagonal two-story pavilion, to the left and Hyeopgildang to the right. Parujeong was constructed to store books, whereas Hyeopgildang served as part of Jibokjae. Both of the buildings are internally linked to Jibokjae.
18. Bohyeondang and Gahoejeong
Bohyeondang and Gahoejeong, buildings that additionally fashioned a library advanced to the south of Jibokjae, have been demolished by the Japanese authorities within the early 20th century.
Taewonjeon, or Taewonjeon Shrine, is an ancestral shrine initially inbuilt in 1868 to accommodate a portrait of King Taejo, the founding father of the Joseon dynasty, and to carry out rites to the deceased royalties. Completely destroyed by the Japanese authorities within the early 20th century, the shrine was precisely restored to its former design in 2005.
Donggung, situated south of the Hyangwonjeong pavilion, has been the residing quarters for the crown prince and his spouse. The 4 fundamental buildings of the compound have been Jaseondang and Bihyeongak, Chunbang (the lecture corridor, the place the prince obtained the preparatory education as a way to turn out to be a future monarch), in addition to Gyebang (the safety constructing).
In the 19th century, the long-run Emperor Sunjong lived within the compound. Donggung was razed to the ground through the Japanese occupation. The restoration work was begun in 1999, and presently[when?], solely Jaseondang and Bihyeongak have been restored.
Geoncheonggung, also called Geoncheonggung Residence, was a personal royal residence constructed by King Gojong throughout the palace grounds in 1873.
King Gojong resided in Geoncheonggung from 1888 and the residence was repeatedly expanded, however, on October 8, 1895, Empress Myeongseong, the spouse of King Gojong, was brutally assassinated by the Japanese brokers on the residence. Her body was burned and buried close to the residence.
Haunted by the experiences of the incident, the king left the palace in January 1896 and by no means once more returned to the residence. Demolished fully by the Japanese authorities in 1909, the residence was precisely reconstructed to its former design and open to the general public in 2007.
22. Governor-General’s Residence (dismantled)
The back backyard of Gyeongbokgung used to include the primary part of the Japanese Governor-General’s residence, which was constructed within the early 20th century through the Japanese occupation. With the institution of the Republic of Korea in 1948, President Syngman Rhee used it as his office and residence.
In 1993, after President Kim Young-sam’s civilian administration was launched, the Japanese Governor-General’s residence within the Cheongwadae compound was dismantled to take away a serious image of Japanese colonialism.
Sujeongjeon, a building located to the south of Gyeonghoeru, was constructed in 1867 and used by the cabinet of the Joseon dynasty.
24. Long live the constructors
For the first time, Gyeongbokgung Palace was destroyed in a fire, King Myungjiang rebuilt the palace. However, after being burned a second time, it was left for about three centuries. During the reign of Dawanggun, the palace was rebuilt.
In 1895, when Emperor Miangsiang was assassinated by Japanese agents, the royal family never returned to Giangbokgong. After Korea was liberated, the government took 40 years of an initiative to rebuild.
25. Even if it is half fake
The government has put a lot of effort into restoring the Gyeongbokgung Palace complex. It is built with the purpose of helping people learn about ancient Korea and its architecture. Its pavilions, gates, bridges, and wall grounds will make you feel in Josion.
26. What do you think is the most famous?
According to a survey conducted by the Seoul Metropolitan Government, the majority of visitors to Guangzhou have seen the change in guards as their favorite activity in Seoul.
27. Color selection in the pavilion
If the pavilion’s aves were colored, it meant that a female member of the royal family had acquired the place. If it is gray or dull, it means that it is acquired by the king himself or the royal family members.
A poll of practically 2,000 international visitors, carried out by the Seoul Metropolitan Government in November 2011, said that watching the altering of the guards on the fundamental gate Gwanghwamun is their third favorite exercise in Seoul.
The royal altering of the guard ceremony is held in front of the primary gate each hour from 10:00 to 15:00. There are many vacationers sporting hanbok whereas visiting Gyeongbokgung. There are rental outlets near Gyeongbokgung.
Re-enactments of Korean royal guard at Gyeongbokgung, Seoul, South Korea
Today, the Gyeongbokgung Palace is open to the general public and homes the National Folk Museum of Korea, the National Palace Museum of Korea, and conventional Korean gardens.
30. If you think it is expensive
The admission fee at the Gyeongbokgung Palace for adults is a maximum of 3000 won (Korean currency) which is approximately $ 2.5 and for a child, $ 1500 equals $ 1.3.
31. And if you think it’s over
For most K historical K-dramas and films, the Jiangbokgung Palace is usually the filming location. Some of the most famous K-drama shots include Goblin, My Sassy Girl, the Temperament of Love, the Legend of Blue Sea.
32. The country that destroyed the palace
During the Japanese occupation in the early 20th century, the Gyeongbokgung Palace was demolished. About 90% of the site is destroyed in the context of holding an exhibition.
Nevertheless, the main structures of Jianjongzione (Imperial Throne Hall), Gianghyaru Pavilion, Hyangjiang Pavilion, Zagyongjion Hall, Jibokje Hall, Szeongjion Hall, and Sujiangjion Hall have survived the demolition.
Gyeongbokgung Palace entry is situated 22 Sajik-ro, Jongno-gu. The nearest subway station is
Gyeongbokgung Station (Station #327 on Line 3).
There has been an on and off discussion to extending the Shinbundang Line close to the palace together with throughout a March 2012 marketing campaign promise by Hong Sa-duk to broaden the road close to Gyeongbok Palace.
Other recommended Reading
- 100 Tallest Completed Buildings in the World
- 15 Interesting Louvre Museum Facts to Know
- 30 Interesting Facts about Abu Dhabi Tourism
- 20 Interesting Switzerland Facts One Should Know
- 26 Interesting Great Pyramid of Giza Facts
- 12 Persian Empire Facts and Achievements
- El Salvador History – How the Country Moves On
- History of Latin America – Twists and Thrills
- Spanish Colonization of the Americas